13 November 2020 11pm
Mercer Union, a centre for contemporary art, enjoys a unique position at the forefront of contemporary art in Toronto and Canada – a vantage point cultivated over many years, bolstered by the efforts and foresight of countless members, volunteers, staff and supporters. We are distinctive in our commitment to supporting the production of new and experimental work, assisting artists in realizing pivotal exhibitions. We foster an intimate and supportive space for artists to develop and take risks with their work shaping the cultural landscape of Toronto, Canada and internationally.
As we continue to evolve as an artist-run center, Mercer Union is looking to expand our Board of Directors. The Board is the governing body of Mercer Union who assume legal and financial accountability of the centre. The Board works collaboratively with the Director & Curator to determine operational activities and governance policies. Beginning in 2021, the Board will play an integral role in developing the organization’s new Strategic Plan (2022-2027).
We are currently seeking a dynamic and dedicated Board member to serve as the organization’s Treasurer, beginning in May 2021. The Treasurer will sit on the Executive Committee and is expected to chair the Finance Committee. Members are elected on an annual basis, with the expectation that Directors commit to a minimum of a two-year term.
At present, the Board meets six times per year and members are expected to attend the Annual General Meeting and the annual visioning session. In addition, the Treasurer will be expected to provide advice and assistance to management between meetings as related to their unique skill-set and expertise, with an anticipated eight – ten hours of work each month.
- Provide oversight on the receipt and disbursement of funds by the organization;
- Serve as Chair of the Finance Committee;
- Support the Director & Curator and provide direct oversight and feedback on the preparation and quarterly review of the annual budget;
- Support the Director & Curator in the presentation of financial reports and recommendations to the Board;
- Support the Director & Curator and provide direct oversight of the annual audit process;
- Present reports from the Finance Committee at each Board meeting and the Audited Financial Statements at the Annual General Meeting;
- Ensure that financial best practices are in place in the organization.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Prior charitable governance experience;
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- financial planning/management
- charitable/foundation fundraising;
- A commitment to the mission of Mercer Union;
- Comfort contributing to in-person group meetings, as well as online; and
- Availability to meet in-person on a quarterly basis in Toronto.
If you would like to help lead a dynamic organization with a staff of talented and passionate individuals, please send a statement of interest along with your CV to Director & Curator, Julia Paoli, at email@example.com. Expressions of interest are requested by 13 November 2020.
Mercer Union is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a skilled and diverse Board of Directors that reflects the communities we serve. We promote employment equity and strongly encourage applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds, racialized communities, Indigenous peoples, women, and persons with disabilities.