7 September 2020 11pm
Communications and Administration Intern
- Program stream: Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage
- Term: 27-week position, 40 hours / week
- Length of assignment: 2020-09-21 – 2021-03-27
- Location: Toronto, ON
- Hourly wage: $18.50/hr *
Mercer Union, a centre for contemporary art is looking for a Communications and Administration Intern for a 27-week contract beginning 21 September 2020.
Mercer Union is dedicated to the advancement of contemporary art. We present four exhibitions per year, that include commissioned and newly produced works, a series of commissioned public billboards, fORUM – a critical conversation series – as well as artists’ talks, workshops, seminars and special projects. Our programming activities strive to deepen awareness, scholarship and debate around the latest discourse in art practices in Canada and abroad, providing artists with further opportunity to engage in critical dialogue.
Reporting to the Director & Curator, the Communications and Administration Intern will provide general administrative support, while working directly on the preparation and implementation of upcoming marketing and communications efforts. They will maintain the gallery’s websites, social media platforms, assist in the production of exhibition related publications, update the constituent database, as well as support the day-to-day operations of the gallery. They will also work directly with curatorial staff to deploy online projects and public programs for a broad public.
- Work directly with the Director & Curator to research and develop new methods for communication that support online programming
- Assist the TD Assistant Curator in the design, production, and distribution of promotional materials including exhibition related publications, texts and media outreach
- Help to maintain the gallery website, social media feeds and email marketing platforms
- Aid in the coordination and promotion of all events and programs
- Work directly with the Audience Development Coordinator to assist with updating databases
- Provide administrative and coordination support for programs
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications and reports
- Assist in the preparation of Board and Committee meetings
- A strong knowledge of contemporary art and discourse
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and manage long and short-term projects
- Educational background in Art History, Fine Arts, Museum Studies, Art Education, Arts Administration, Curatorial Studies, Communications or a related field
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud applications InDesign and Photoshop on Mac OS
- Experience using platforms including Mailchimp; WordPress; Dropbox; Buffer and common social media services;
- Experience with HTML and CSS an asset
Mercer Union is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We promote employment equity and strongly encourage applications from candidates of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, women, and persons with disabilities.
Interested candidates must qualify for the YCW Building Careers in Heritage Program (see young-canada-works.canada.ca for necessary qualifications).
Eligible individuals are invited to submit a current CV and cover letter, including a short statement of intent indicating why you wish to work for a contemporary art gallery.
Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and received by 7 September 2020. Late applications, and those that do not include a CV and cover letter, will not be considered. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.