19 October 2018 5pm
TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant
Mercer Union, a centre for contemporary art
Mercer Union is a non-profit, artist-centred space in Toronto. We have a unique track record of presenting innovative exhibitions by diverse Canadian and international artists in formative and established stages of their careers. We are dedicated to supporting the production of new and experimental work, assisting artists in realizing pivotal projects. Mercer Union has the will and flexibility to take on ambitious projects. We foster an intimate and supportive space for artists to develop and take risks with their work. In turn, their exhibitions play a role in shaping the cultural landscape of Toronto, Canada and beyond.
Currently an opportunity exists to join our team at Mercer Union for a TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant. This position supports Mercer Union’s goal to encourage structured positions and professional development for emerging curators. The program comprises one full-time, 12-month post that is paid and open to all. It is designed to enable young professionals to gain the experience necessary to secure permanent employment within the arts sector. The program provides mentoring from Mercer’s Director of Exhibitions & Program, supporting emerging curators to develop their practice within a non-profit, artist-run institution.
- Mercer Union’s TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will work closely with the Director of Exhibitions & Programs to learn diverse facets of the work of a curator at an artist-run centre. Research, hands-on tasks and professional development will be at the core of this program.
- TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will have the opportunity to participate in all phases of program development including: research; checklist development; lender and artist relations; writing text for didactics, press release and website; installation needs; and event coordination.
- The TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will assist with engagement related programming including development and implementation of fORUM, Aggregate and SESSION.
- The TD Exhibitions & Programs Assistant will provide administrative support across programming, learning to manage production schedules and timelines.
- Post-Secondary Degree in Curatorial Studies, Art History, Fine Arts, Museum Studies, Arts Education, Arts Administration or a related field with a particular interest in pursuing exhibition programming around contemporary art.
- Demonstrated interest in museum or gallery work, arts administration and arts education.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written; experience with speaking in public settings considered an asset;
- Excellent research skills, with ability to self-direct;
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines;
- Strong computer skills are essential; experience with Mac computer systems and office programs including spreadsheets, word processing, email and database software;
- Understanding of gallery education and public programs, program assessment, and visitor engagement theories and strategies;
- Passion for contemporary art and artistic practices
- Must be comfortable working in an open concept office environment
- Able to undertake flexible working hours, including evenings and weekends, when necessary
$35,000 – $40,000 per annum
To apply, candidates should submit a letter of interest, CV and the names of three references with contact information in one PDF document. Qualified candidates please email applications to: email@example.com by Friday 19 October 2018
No phone calls or visits please. For further information on Mercer Union, please refer to our website: www.mercerunion.org
Mercer Union is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates from visible and invisible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons across the spectrum of sexual orientation and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is generously supported by TD Bank Group.